Monday, August 10, 2009

BEACH VACATION

Our kids and I agreed to take a go at one more beach vacation this year. We selected a condo on Mustang Island, near Corpus Christi and rented a 3 BR Condo that slept 11 on beds and couches. It was cozy but real good bonding for all of us. One day we had a niece and her daughter and friend came to visit but stayed nearby in a motel. Carol certainly had some times of total confusing but most of the time she seemed very happy. She did like our walk out into the surf, 3rd bar where it was chest deep, or deeper at times. It was difficult to get her out there by me and daughter, Carman the first time. Our hands got squeezed strongly but then the first wave seemed to thrill her and she totally relaxed. So much so that her legs usually floated up and she was content to let us hold her up under arms. Stayed out a long time first and second days and would not trade that experience for anything. See the Post by our daughter in law, Wendy Eldridge, mother of 4 of our grandkids.

The 8 ½ hour drive down was very tiring but I did have my grandson, Alex, help with the driving, even though he still drives like a teenager. On the way back, I did all the driving and was very tired when we got back. But no problem in the car. A lot of signs got pointed out and described in her own unique language. Also had an hour or more of fun folding and unfolding a highway map. Had a few little naps going down but some much longer naps coming back. I had messed up her medications and gave her the evening meds, with her seroquel, in the morning before we left. She had some long naps with head bent over so far, I was afraid she would hurt her neck.

My daughter was an angel and helped me so much taking care of Carol. She helped with her shower and shampoo after each beach visit plus took her on some shopping trips. Son Eric also helped a lot, especially at the beach when I took some naps. Carman even shared her swim suit, and shorts with her mother. My blood pressure was high and I took more than normal. Have already sent a fax to my cardiac Dr about changing my dosage. I kept records of my high pressure. Eric’s and Carman’s kids were real sweet to MiMi, my DW, and she enjoyed all the attention. I know she will enjoy looking at all the pictures the kids took.

We call this our last vacation with MiMi but she has progressed more slowly at other times so another trip is possible but not very likely. Take your good, family trips while you can. The memories will surely last several lifetimes.
If you want to add your comment and/or memories, just click on the word "content" below and share with us. bill

2 comments:

  1. Dear Bill, Diane V here from Alz spouse. What a wonderful and caring man you are! You never cease o amaze. I can tell by the way your family is handling your AD journey, that you and Carol were GREAT parents and role models! God Bless you all! With much love and respect,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daddy, my friend Jane, said you must have been looking up at Jesus in this picture! I love you! It WAS a great vacation! I've had fun for days playing with all the pictures!

    ReplyDelete