Saturday, May 16, 2009

REPORT #2 ON CAROL


AD is still in control. I just try to find as much happiness for Carol all during the day. Her Anger spells have improved quite a bit and when she does have one, it seems to be her pride and self esteem that are hurting. She wakes up most mornings and crys. She can’t tell me but I can tell she is talking about her inability to do things. It is so sad. I hurry and get up and get us dressed. I have to help her with her bath, her make-up, help select her clothes, etc. She does try to make up the bed and it looks OK when she is done. She can brush her hair, put on her mascara after I hand it to her. She can put on her foundation, etc if I guide her a little. She really does not know that she looks better with her make up. This is just recent. Picture above is Carman giving her mother, Carol, a shampoo.

Breakfast is next and she can feed herself but I have to get out the cereal, bowl, spoon and milk. Only thing she still tries to do in the kitchen is wipe the tables and counters, also the floor with a napkin. I try to let her put away the dishes and glasses from the dish washer but it we have to really guide her as to where things go. She eats well but a little slow because she gets sidetracked with looking at anything with pictures. At restaurants, she really enjoys the presence of children and waves to them, makes faces, and often stops on the way out to talk to them. I have a card that I sometimes give to waitress and parents of the children. It says “Thank you for being patient with my Wife. She has Alzheimer’s”. I don’t want people to thing she is senile. But it is surprising to me how people do not seem to understand. On the other hand, many will say that a relative or friend of theirs has Alzheimer’s.

Carol still loves movies, especially Cinemark and even at home on TV. She laughs at the right time and seems to be able to follow some of the movie. But she can loose interest real quick. Addy took her to Cinemark yesterday and Carol griped from the start of the movie with Jamie Fox, so Addy took her down the hall to another movie and Carol was perfectly happy. Carol still likes to talk but most of the time it is very hard to figure out what she is saying. Sometimes I can figure it out by hand movements, or just one key word because she does tell the same stories over and over.

Physically, she is in pretty good shape. We have been working on a UTI lately but I was glad to hear it was that instead of incontinence. She sleeps well at night and often naps during the day while she is watching TV. She shuffles more now but no indication of imbalance or falling. Sees and hears very good but her ability to smell and taste have really declined. Carol still enjoys talking to our friends, even though she may not remember your name or from where she knew you . Thank you for your consideration and understanding.
If you want to add your own comment, just click on the word "comments" below.
bill

4 comments:

  1. Bill,
    I sure do enjoy keeping up with you and Carol on your Blog. It takes me back to the times 35 years ago when we would find excuses to drop by your house just to hang out and visit. Oh sure, Carmen was quite a looker and it was nice to see her too but you and Carol were always so easy to talk to and made us feel welcome.
    My prayers are with you and your family, tell Carol hello for me.
    Kyle Keeter

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sweet words, Kyle! Yes, I remember coming home from a date, and you and Marshall and Mike (?) were all there, hanging out with my parents. I hope and pray I can be that kind of a parent to my boys. Unfortunately, they always seem to want to be at the GIRLS houses! Ah well, I can dream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bill~Jane Braddock here-We have met a few times most recently camping with Carman. I love your blog. You are such a blessing to Carol. Your love for her is so evident in your actions and words. You are an inspiration. I hope and pray for the grace and love that you show should I ever be in your place, or Carol's.

    You are both in my prayers.

    Blessings,
    Jane Braddock

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a precious comment, Jane! Thank you! Daddy, aren't I lucky to have a sweet friend like Jane? All our Campers for Christ friends are impressed with you when they watch you with Mom. You are a LIVING EXAMPLE of what unconditional love should be like.

    ReplyDelete